Saturday, November 1, 2008

Hasbro has no Monopoly on Ignorance


Hasbro has released a new version of Monopoly that replaces cash money with debit cards. That's good, because we'd hate for our kids to have to incorporate intelligence into their fun. It's not like they're going to have to inherit our economy and then have no tools with which to survive because they figure there will always be someone (or thing) else to keep up with those sorts of things. The next edition will feature a google toolbar so they can look up big words like "mortgage" and "income tax," and will also include a bailout option for players who don't want to go to jail even though they mishandled their money to the point of criminal negligence. Also included will be a game-appointed attorney (of course, at no cost to the player) who will negotiate passing "GO" and the collection of the $200 even if the player is found guilty. I'm going to go read a book and cry a little.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The debit card system makes the game run faster. Why count when I can get a machine to do it for me. Now people have to come up with a better excuse than, "It's takes to long to set up and play".

Joshua Andrew Smith said...

Exactly.

Lito said...

Wow, I couldn't agree with you more. I just shared with my friend about this new edition and he got excited I then laughed and couldn't believe it becuase he hates to count for himself!

Andrew Reed said...

I agree with Josh, unless you're the 5th player and have to try to organize your money on the corner of the board.