The Worship Tension Spectrum
We cannot order our worship with intentionality if we are not confessing and communicating our values. These are not necessarily mutually exclusive concepts, but they do create tension when we attempt to pursue them simultaneously. What does your church value? Are your worship efforts being hindered by duality of vision? Is there another tension you're dealing with that's not listed here?
1. Performance vs. Participation
- Performance – God’s transcendent nature is best imparted through displays of excellence in presentation.
- Participation - God is most pleased when the whole congregation has ownership and involvement.
2. Attraction vs. Discipleship
- Attraction – If more people could only get in the door, then they would be transformed by the gospel.
- Discipleship –If people could only be transformed by the gospel, they would bring more people in the door.
3. Targeted vs. Inclusive
- Targeted - Focusing on the fewer interests moves people with greater efficiency toward Kingdom goals.
- Inclusive - Creating an environment enriched by diversity is a Kingdom goal.
4. Dynamic vs. Conservative
- Dynamic – Meaning emerges spontaneously from the immediate context of the worshipers.
- Conservative – Meaning is preserved within the proven liturgies and traditions of the Church.