As a child, I was taught that:
- Justice is getting the things you deserve.
- Mercy is not getting the bad things you deserve, and
- Grace is getting the good things you don't deserve.
I'm trying out a new paradigm:
- What if grace is the standard, rather than justice?
- What if justice is merely the structures which maintain the status quo created by grace?
- What if mercy is that which prevents the status quo from destroying the original intent of grace's creations?
If This was Victor Hugo's understanding of the higher economy, then his comments via Bienvenu make perfect sense.