Saturday, October 3, 2009

True Reformation Theology

This is a hymn that may answer some questions regarding the connection between works and faith in a truly reformed theology.









"The Means of Grace"
Charles Wesley

Long have I seemed to serve thee Lord
with unavailing pain
Fasted and Prayed and read thy word
And heard it preached in vain

Oft did I with th' assembly join
And near Thine altar drew;
A form of godliness was mine,
The power I never knew

To please thee thus, at last I see
In vain I hoped and strove
For what are outward things to thee
Unless they spring from love?

I see the perfect law requires
Truth in the inward parts
Our full consent our whole desires
Our undivided hearts

But I of means have made my boast
Of means and idol made
The spirit in the letter lost
The substance in the shade

I rested in the outward law
Nor know its deep design
The length and breadth I never saw,
The height of love divine

Where am I now, or what my hope?
What can my weakness do?
JESU, to Thee my soul looks up,
"Tis Thou must make it new

Thine is the work, and Thine alone
But shall I idly stand?
Shall I the written rule disown,
And slight my God's command?

Wildly shall I from Thine turn back,
A better path to find;
Thy holy ordinance forsake,
And cast Thy words behind?

Forbid it gracious Lord, that I
Should ever learn Thee so!
No - let me with Thy word comply,
If I Thy love would know

Suffice for me, that Thou, my Lord,
Hast bid me fast and pray:
Thy will be done, thy name adored;
'Tis only mine t' obey.

Thou biddest me search the Sacred Leaves
and taste the hallowed Bread:
The kind commands my soul receives,
And longs on Thee to feed.

Still for Thy lovingkindness, Lord,
I in Thy temple wait;
I look to find Thee in Thy word,
Or at Thy table meet.

Here, in Thine own appointed ways,
I wait to learn Thy will:
Silent I stand before Thy face,
And hear Thee say, "Be still!"

"Be still - and know that I am God!"
'Tis all I live to know;
To feel the virtue of Thy blood,
And spread its praise below.

I wait my vigour to renew,
Thine image to retrieve,
The veil of outward things pass through,
And grasp in Thee to live.

I do the thing Thy laws enjoin,
And then the strive gives o'er:
To Thee I then the whole resign;
I trust in means no more.

I trust in Him who stands between
The Father's wrath and me:
JESU! Thou great eternal Mean,
I look for all from Thee.

1 comment:

Halcyon said...

You gotta love ol' Chuck Wesley.